Is your spice cabinet a jumble of random spices you've collected for decades? Spices are typically only good for 3 years. After that time they begin to loose their flavor. If you open a spice and can't smell anything, it's time to toss it. Restock with the basics found below.
4. Cinnamon – Cinnamon is a must-have for sweet treats like fruit, oatmeal, and smoothies. According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, cinnamon is used to help treat muscle spasms, vomiting, diarrhea, infections, the common cold, loss of appetite, and erectile dysfunction (ED). Try it today in FreshJax Maple Cinnamon Topping
5. Cumin – This spice is commonly found in Mexican dishes and adds a distinct flavor to many soups and stews. It's found in the FreshJax Smokey Southwest Seasonings.
6. Basil – Great on Italian dishes, basil can be used fresh or dried. Try making homemade spaghetti sauce or pesto with it. Basil is included in the FreshJax Italian Blend.
7. Garlic – Packed with flavor, garlic can be used on a wide variety of savory dishes. It pairs well with most vegetables, grains, and beans. In addition, garlic has great cardiovascular and antibacterial benefits. Add it to your favorite dishes with FreshJax Toasted Onion Seasoning.
8. Chili Powder – Look for an all-natural chili powder that only contains dried chilies. This hot spice can add a kick to any dish. It’s a great addition to Mexican food and chili. Try it in our Taco Seasoning!
9. Ginger – Ginger is great for digestion, helping to ease both nausea and bloating. This root spice can be made into tea, added to fresh juices, or added to stir fry. We've included Thai ginger (galangal) in the Mild Red Thai Coconut Curry.
10. Oregano – Another staple of Italian cuisine, oregano can be used in homemade pizza sauce, tomato sauce, or simply sprinkled on top of your favorite grains. Try it in the FreshJax Pizza Seasoning.
Explore yoga + healthy living in Jacksonville, FL with FreshJax!