A dash of Greek seasoning in the right place will have everyone at the dinner table shouting “Opa!” The zesty flavors of Greek seasoning are perfect as part for your hummus recipe or when sprinkled over lamb, beef, or chicken. Greek seasoning is not just a standalone spice blend but a vital thread in the intricate tapestry of Mediterranean cuisine. The Mediterranean region is renowned for its diverse culinary traditions, each reflecting the unique tastes and cultural influences of its respective locales. While Greek seasoning embodies the essence of Greek cuisine, its components have a lot in common with other Mediterranean flavor profiles, connecting it to a broader Mediterranean culinary heritage.
What Is Greek Seasoning?
Greek seasoning, or "Greek spice blend," originates from the rich culinary traditions of Greece. Greek cuisine is celebrated for its use of fresh ingredients, bold flavors, and the Mediterranean diet's health benefits. The seasoning itself reflects the country's historical and cultural ties to the Mediterranean region, where trade and culinary influences have flowed for centuries.
The combination of herbs and spices results in a Greek seasoning with a well-balanced and robust flavor profile. It's savory and slightly sweet, with earthy undertones and a touch of warmth. The blend is versatile, making it suitable for various culinary applications.
What Goes Into Greek Seasoning?
Greek seasoning, like other Mediterranean cuisine, is characterized by a few fundamental flavor elements. There’s a heavy reliance on aromatic herbs like oregano, thyme, rosemary, and basil. These herbs not only impart flavor but also have historical medicinal uses. Garlic and onion, both common components of Greek seasoning, are frequently used throughout Mediterranean cuisine to add depth and savory undertones to dishes.
The use of citrus, particularly lemon, and extra-virgin olive oil is a shared theme in Mediterranean cooking. These ingredients brighten dishes and add a layer of richness and complexity. Like its culinary cousins Ras el Hanout and Za’atar, Greek seasoning features a combination of aromatic herbs, spices, and seeds, adding complexity and depth to dishes. Greek seasoning is delicious on organic, locally-sourced products like tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, feta cheese, and other fresh staples go well with this complex spice combination.
The individual components of a Greek seasoning recipe vary between blend recipes. Here are the organic ingredients we use to make the flavor pop!
- Sea Salt: The base of Greek seasoning, sea salt adds a fundamental savory element and enhances the overall balance of flavors.
- Organic Onion: Organic onion powder contributes a sweet and savory note, deepening the seasoning's complexity.
- Organic Cracked Black Pepper: The inclusion of organic cracked black pepper provides a mild spiciness and a subtle touch of heat, elevating the blend's flavor.
- Organic Garlic: Organic garlic powder adds a robust and savory essence, a cornerstone of Greek seasoning's rich taste.
- Organic Parsley: Organic parsley brings bright freshness and a delicate herbal note to the spice blend’s flavor profile
- Organic Basil: Organic basil lends a touch of sweetness and an aromatic, anise-like depth.
- Organic Thyme: Organic thyme offers earthy, slightly sweet notes that complement other herbs and spices.
- Organic Rosemary: Rosemary contributes a piney, woody flavor that enhances the blend’s complexity and depth.
- Organic Oregano: Dried organic oregano, a key component, delivers a fragrant, earthy, and quintessentially Greek flavor
- Organic Lemon Zest: Organic lemon zest provides a burst of citrusy freshness, adding a vibrant and zesty element to the seasoning blend.
- Organic Marjoram: Marjoram offers a mild, sweet aroma and a hint of citrus, enhancing the Mediterranean essence of the blend.
- Organic Spearmint: This unexpected ingredient provides a refreshing and slightly cooling sensation, balancing and complementing the savory elements of Greek seasoning.
This carefully crafted combination of organic ingredients forms the foundation of Greek seasoning, resulting in a well-balanced, robust, and flavorful blend.
Using Greek Seasoning
There are as many uses for Greek seasoning as there are Greek islands. Greek seasoning is a versatile culinary treasure, and its applications span a variety of dishes. In Mediterranean dishes, Greek seasoning takes on the role of a cherished staple, enhancing classics such as Greek salads, moussaka, tzatziki sauce, and souvlaki with a burst of flavor that elevates them to new heights.
Greek seasoning also sees a lot of use in marinades. For chicken, lamb, or fish, a delightful concoction emerges by combining Greek seasoning with olive oil, lemon juice, and a hint of yogurt. This mixture transforms these proteins into delectable, tender delights, infused with the essence of the Mediterranean. You can also directly season grilled meat and vegetables with Greek seasoning, elevating their flavor and turning them into savory, aromatic delights.
You can also get really creative with your uses of Greek seasoning. One unique application is in baked goods, where even a pinch of Greek seasoning can infuse your bread or pastry dough with a surprising savory kick, adding depth and intrigue to your baked treats. It also makes an excellent popcorn seasoning.
In a surprising twist, Greek seasoning finds its way into fruit salads. A small amount can enhance the sweetness of a fruit salad, especially one featuring refreshing watermelon, creamy feta cheese, and fragrant mint. This unexpected combination creates a harmonious blend of flavors that's both unique and delicious. It goes well with breakfast foods, like scrambled eggs, and can even be used to create flavorful infused olive oil.
Lastly, Greek seasoning can even adorn cocktail rims, taking your libations to new heights. Use it to rim glasses for cocktails like a Mediterranean-inspired Bloody Mary or a savory martini, infusing your drinks with the enticing flavors of the Mediterranean. This unexpected touch brings an element of sophistication to your cocktails, making them a conversation starter at any gathering.
Check Out this Recipe Combo:
Our FreshJax Friend Marc @Ales.n.Tails sent us this Terrific Lamb Burger Recipe. The Burgers are reverse seared to seal in the flavor and have a unique spread of toppings to really make it shine. He used feta cheese and red onions on top with a Tzatziki Sauce for the condiment. His Sauce may be secret, but FreshJax Founder Hillary has one we can share…
Find The Best Organic Spices at FreshJax
If you want to try Greek seasoning, you’ll find the best spice blend recipes FreshJax. Our flavorful organic spices will transport your cooking to the Mediterranean and let you experience the flavors of the Aegean for yourself. Check out our unique catalog for inspiration and try our Greek spice blend today.
Did you Know…
That SPICE CLUB Members can share this article with Friends and Family and receive PepperCoins that can be traded for cool FreshJax Flavors?
Did We INSPIRE You?
Are You a Fan of Greek Seasoning?
Have you had our blend before?
What do you LOVE it on?
Let us know in the comments below!