Eating vegan shouldn’t mean you have to forgo your favorite meat dishes entirely. With the right ingredients and delicious organic spices, you can transform your favorite meat-based dishes into a mouth-watering plant-based masterpiece.
One of our favorite meatless dishes is a tasty meatless birria taco, an excellent alternative to help you make food that is healthy, delicious, and accessible. Here’s a breakdown of the classic birria taco, complete with all the ingredients and instructions you need to make a flawless vegan birria.
What is Birria?
Birria is a delicious, traditional Mexican dish traditionally made from goat meat marinated in a stew of tomatoes, chiles, and various herbs and spices. While birria is prepared by marinating the meat in flavorful organic seasonings, there are numerous ways to prepare and serve your birria beyond a typical stew.
For instance, birria tacos are an incredible go-to meal packed with bold, complementary flavors that provide an excellent tasting experience you won’t forget. Along with traditional corn tortillas, birria is often served with cilantro, lime, and organic Mexican seasonings to create a memorable dish. However, many people miss out on the exquisite taste of birria tacos because of one factor: the meat.
A Meatless Birria Taco Recipe
No worries if you’re on a vegan diet and eager to try this savory dish. Let’s get into one of our favorite meatless birria taco recipes you can make in a pinch with the right ingredients and spices.
This recipe, inspired by this tasty guide and incorporating our delicious organic spices, makes about 12 servings of vegan birria tacos–perfect for a family get-together, weekly dinner, or for leftovers. The “meat” in this recipe is made from expertly-seasoned, mouth-watering mushrooms combined with the spices and flavors that bring everything together.
For the birria, gather the following ingredients:
- 4 guajillo chiles
- 2 pasilla chiles
- 2 ancho chiles (to add extra flavor to your favorite dishes, also consider our tasty organic ground ancho pepper)
- 4 Morita chiles
- 5 Roma tomatoes
- ½ large white onion, chopped and quartered
- 6 garlic cloves (to add taste to your favorite meals, check out our fantastic organic minced garlic cloves)
- 8 whole peppercorns (and if you love the taste, check out our organic green or pink peppercorn)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 whole cloves
- ¼ cinnamon stick
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
To prepare the mushrooms, gather the following ingredients:
- 2 pounds of oyster mushrooms, shredded
- 3 tablespoons neutral vegetable oil
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder (if you’re a fan, check out our delicious organic garlic granules)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For assembling the birria tacos, gather the following ingredients:
- 12-14 corn tortillas
- Shredded vegan cheese
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Whole white onion, finely diced
To begin crafting a vegan birria taco, follow the instructions below.
For the broth:
- With kitchen shears, stem the chiles and cut them open, removing the seeds and veins.
- Over medium heat, heat a cast-iron skillet and dry toast the chiles for 30-60 seconds for each side.
- Boil a saucepan of water. Once the water comes to a boil, shut off the heat. Add the chiles into the water, then cover the saucepan. Allow the chiles to rehydrate for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chopped onion, and garlic cloves to a separate pot of water. Bring the new pot of water to a boil, then reduce the heat until the water is at a simmer, for about 12-15 minutes.
- Add the drained chiles, tomatoes, garlic cloves, and onions to a blender. Include all of the spices, excluding the bay leaves. Add the apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of vegetable broth, blending on high until smooth.
- Pour the blended sauce through a fine-mesh strainer into a larger saucepan. Once worked through, add 2-3 cups of vegetable broth to the pot and simmer for about 35–40 minutes.
For the mushrooms:
- While the broth is simmering, remove the bottom portion of the oyster mushrooms. Shred the mushrooms into small strips with your hands.
- Season the mushrooms with the oil, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss the mushrooms to coat them in seasoning, then set the bowl aside.
- When 10-15 minutes are remaining for the broth, heat 1 tablespoon of neutral oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook the shredded and seasoned mushrooms in batches, about 8-10 minutes each, until they are crispy and golden brown.
- Place all cooked mushrooms back into your skillet when the batches are finished, including ~2 cups of the birria mixture. Cook all ingredients together for a few minutes.
To assemble the vegan birria taco:
- Heat neutral oil in a skillet over medium heat. Take a corn tortilla, then dip it in the pot of broth. Place the tortilla on the skillet.
- As the tortilla is cooking, add a scoop of the prepared mushrooms and shredded cheese to one side of the corn tortilla.
- Fold the tortilla over the mushroom and cheese fillings, cooking for 1-2 minutes on the first side. Then, flip the tortilla, cooking the second side until the exterior is crispy and the vegan cheese has melted.
- Repeat these steps until all of the tacos are completed.
- Serve with a garnishment of white onions, cilantro, lime, and broth for dipping.
Eat Healthy, Happy, and Organic With FreshJax
At FreshJax, we value healthy eating that’s enjoyable, flavorful, and fun. Whether you’re looking for unique and organic Mexican spices, unique seasoning blends and gift sets, or tasty recipes to suit your vegan diet, FreshJax has what you need to make a delicious meal for you and the family.
FreshJax offers spices and tips for a variety of dietary habits and needs to guarantee that you can eat healthy, traditional dishes no matter any dietary restrictions. With FreshJax, seasoning your food to perfection is simple. Check out our catalog of mouth-watering spices today and get started on this phenomenal vegan birria taco recipe you’re sure to love.
DID WE "INSPIRE" YOU?
Have you ever had Birria before?
Do you prefer it as a stew?
What would you put in a Meatless Birria Taco?
Leave us a comment and feel free to share this article with your friends and family.